|BOL Home Page||N-BIP Home Page||Browse by Subject||Author/Title Search|
|339702 Free Books - FREE newsletter - No Ads - Go Here!|
Printed Books are offered for
sale In Association with:
Amazon.com -- Barnes & Noble
Seven Days and Seven Nights
|Dewey Subject Codes:||920||947||B||Biography|
A young Jew eagerly awaits the liberating Soviet Army at the end of WWII. But as the euphoria subsides, he turns against his liberators, goes underground against the Marxist tyranny, becomes a reporter for Free Europe Radio. During this metamorphosis he encounters intrigue, love, execution, suicide, the cruelty of the Hungarian Secret Police and much more.
Comment By: Unknown commentator – Some Town, Some Where – March 20, 2001, 16:29
Dangers of consciousness, August 16, 2000 Reviewer: A reader from Manitoba, CANADA Seven Days and Seven Nights is a book that I would recommend for every young people who wants to understand the World we live in today. I would also recommend it for those older generations who didn't know what was going on behind the 'Iron Curtain' of Eastern-Europe. This novel is about history, self-consciousness, humanity, moral choices, intellectual freedom and love. Please, read it to understand what communism is all about and why you should say - 'No! Never again!' Read to understand what are the common elements of fascism and communism, the two most cruel, dictatoric regimes of human existence. The book is about 'lived through history' - pain, joy, tears - in their natural manifestations. This is not academic history - the story flows with excitement and thrill and you're not going to put the book down. The author gives us several details on Hungarian names and historical events to understand his references. Mr.Szegedy's insights on politics, history and arts show that education of his time gave not only the factual material to the students but the passion toward culture and sciences as well. His intellectual struggle with being a Jew and a Hungarian is still a very vivid question - and after almost half a century - is still a very sensitive subject in the day-to-day reality of Eastern-European nations. This is a bitter but somehow optimistic story ends in 1956. The happenings of the following decades since showed us that communism and freedom are antagonistic concepts despite of the milder appearance of the socialist-communist regime (gulash-communism). The fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989 hopefully closed this miserable chapter of our time, but the struggling economies of those ex-communist countries show that the damage is much deeper. It has affected the common consciousness, the everyday morale of the people and weakened the spritual strenght of those nations. It will take some time to recover...
|On Line -- Click to download|
|Text Files and HTML|
|Click here to tell us about a bad link.|
|Vendor's Home Page 1||eBook Readers 2||Book Info 3||New ISBN 4|
New York Times Best Seller Category:|
Children's Chapter Books
This list was prepared on 8/25/15 at 01:12:39
1. Maze Runner Series (Maze Runner) -- James Dashner -- was:
1. Giver Quartet boxed set -- Lois Lowry -- was:
1. Percy Jackson and the Olympians 5 Book Paperback -- Rick Riordan -- was:
1. Harry Potter Paperback Box Set (Books 1-7) -- J. K. Rowling -- was:
1. Divergent Series Complete Box Set -- Veronica Roth -- was:
1. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul -- Jeff Kinney -- was:
1. Land of Stories: Beyond the Kingdoms -- Chris Colfer -- was:
1. Dork Diaries 9: Tales from a Not-So-Dorky Drama Queen -- Rachel Renée Russell -- was:
1. Selection Series Box Set: The Selection, The -- Kiera Cass -- was:
Children's Chapter Books are books aimed at a children's audience that is more advanced than the short 'booklet' type stories but which is not quite ready for the more advanced 'Young Adult' level.
Recently Released New Books
This list was prepared on 8/29/15 at 01:24:04
1. Girl in the Spider’s Web: A Lisbe -- David Lagercrantz -- $16.00
2. For the Love: Fighting for Grace in a -- Jen Hatmaker -- $12.90
3. Rising Strong -- Brené Brown -- $15.88
4. Day the Crayons Came Home -- Drew Daywalt -- $11.72
5. It IS About Islam: Exposing the Truth -- Glenn Beck -- $8.81
6. Purity: A Novel -- Jonathan Franzen -- $14.95
7. Plunder and Deceit -- Mark R. Levin -- $16.20
8. Wake: A Novel -- Paul Kingsnorth -- $8.54
9. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Old School -- Jeff Kinney -- $7.92
10. i>clicker+ Remote (with 6 month REEF -- iclicker -- $41.75
11. X (A Kinsey Millhone Novel) -- Sue Grafton -- $17.37
12. Shepherd’s Crown (Tiffany Aching) -- Terry Pratchett -- $10.65
13. i>clicker 2 Remote (with 6 month REEF -- iclicker -- $60.99
14. Make Me: A Jack Reacher Novel -- Lee Child -- $16.27
15. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain: -- Piggyback -- $21.48
16. Lost Ocean: An Inky Adventure and Col -- Johanna Basford -- $11.64
17. Nature of the Beast: A Chief Insp -- Louise Penny -- $16.76
18. Trim Healthy Mama Cookbook: Eat Up an -- Pearl Barrett -- $15.70
19. Microbiome Solution: A Radical Ne -- Dr. R. C. M. D. -- $13.85
20. Queen of Shadows: Throne of Glass 4 -- Sarah J. Maas -- $11.39
You may want a copy of this book in the form of a planar cellulose information
retrieval system, i.e. a printed book. They make good gifts, and are more familiar
to most of us than electronic copies. But finding a printed copy of a book is
sometimes difficult. This section is intended to give you some help by making it
easy to use the more common ways of searching.
1 The first column consists of links to the home pages of the biggest suppliers of books by mail: Amazon and Barnes & Noble. These two suppliers have mostly new books, and their new book inventory probably has an overlap of something like 90%, but this does not mean that they both have exactly the same price. Both of them also list used books from outside suppliers, and the used book inventories are usually quite different. ABE Books is a loose grouping of some 17,000 independent bookstores that list their inventory in a common database - most of these are used books that vary from just issued best sellers to rare and antique books.
From all three home pages you can do searches, look at comments, check prices of both new and used copies, look at various formats such as hardback, paperback, eBook formats and much more.
2 The second column has links to Barnes & Noble and Amazon pages describing their new eBook Readers. These have become very popular lately as they allow the purchase of new books and textbooks at prices lower than the printed copies, and in a format that many people find attractive.
3 Clicking on the links in the third column sends you to the supplier along with the ISBN (International Standard Book Number) of the book described on this page if we have been able to find that number. Note that an ISBN refers to a specific edition of a book. Thus a single book might have many ISBNs: Hardback edition, softback, large print, foreign language and so on. Usually the book listing on B & N or Amazon will have links to the other editions that are available.
4 Is our ISBN wrong, or perhaps missing all together. Help us out. Search on B&N and Amazon. If you find one, please let us know. Enter the thirteen (Barnes & Noble) or ten (Amazon) digit number (no dashes) in the boxes above and click on the Submit ISBN button. The numbers shown in the boxes are the numbers we have on file, or zero if we haven't found one.
© Books-On-Line, January 22, 1997; Last Revised December 17, 2012 – Processing Time: 80 ms