|BOL Home Page||N-BIP Home Page||Browse by Subject||Author/Title Search|
|230053 Free Books - FREE newsletter - No Ads - Go Here!|
Printed Books are offered for
sale In Association with:
Amazon.com -- Barnes & Noble -- Abe Books
Game Engine Design and Implementation
|Dewey Subject Code:||006|
Part of the new Foundations of Game Development Series! Almost every video game on the market today is powered by a game engine. But, what is a game engine? What does it do? How are they useful to both developers and the game? And how are they made? These, and other important engine related questions, are explored and discussed in this book. In clear and concise language, this book examines through examples and exercises both the design and implementation of a video game engine. Specifically, it focuses on the core components of a game engine, audio and sound systems, file and resource management, graphics and optimization techniques, scripting and physics, and much more. Suitable for students, hobbyists, and independent developers, this no-nonsense book helps fine tune an understanding of solid engine design and implementation for creating games that sell.
In the early days of simple games you didn’t spend much time thinking about game engines, indeed they didn’t exist and the programmer had to do everything from scratch. This is no longer the case as games have gotten more complex, the computers used to play them are much more powerful so that the overhead of an engine is not so important, and through the use of an available engine the designer/programmer can produce a complex game much faster. This is an excellent book on what gaming engines do. You could use to design your own engine, but more importantly, by knowing at least the elements of game engine design you have a better understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of the various engines that are available.
Gaming engines have a language all their own. What, for instance, does the following description of the Bullet engine mean to you? "Bullet is a free, open source, and cross-platform physics SDK featuring both Soft and Rigid body physics, collision detection, sensors, joints, and more." Why would you use Bullet rather than OPAL or PhysX or one of the others? By knowing some of the details about what gaming engines do, you can pick between them saving programming time and producing a better gaming experience. That’s the strength of this book.
|On Line -- Click to download|
|No free version found, see below.|
|Vendor's Home Page 1||eBook Readers 2||Book Info 3||New ISBN 4|
New York Times Best Seller Category:|
Children's Chapter Books
This list was prepared on 3/4/14 at 13:15:57
1. Divergent Series Complete Box Set -- Veronica Roth -- was:
2. Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, Book 1) -- Richelle Mead -- was:
3. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Hard Luck, Book 8 -- Jeff Kinney -- was:
4. City of Fallen Angels (Mortal Instruments) -- Cassandra Clare -- was:
5. Hunger Games (Book 1) -- Suzanne Collins -- was:
6. Mockingjay (The Final Book of The Hunger Games) -- Suzanne Collins -- was:
7. Maze Runner (Book 1) -- James Dashner -- was:
8. House of Hades (Heroes of Olympus, Book 4) -- Rick Riordan -- was:
9. Cress (Lunar Chronicles) -- Marissa Meyer -- was:
10. Percy Jackson pbk 5-book boxed set (Percy Jackson & the Olympians) -- Rick Riordan -- was:
11. Giver (Readers Circle (Laurel-Leaf)) -- Lois Lowry -- was:
Children's Chapter Books are books aimed at a children's audience that is more advanced than the short 'booklet' type stories but which is not quite ready for the more advanced 'Young Adult' level.
Recently Released New Books
This list was prepared on 3/8/14 at 01:10:35
1. Blood Sugar Solution 10-Day Detox -- Mark Hyman M. D. -- $17.44
2. Rush Revere and the First Patriots: T -- Rush Limbaugh -- $12.64
3. Uganda Be Kidding Me -- Chelsea Handler -- $15.87
4. Oh She Glows Cookbook: Over 100 V -- Angela Liddon -- $16.34
5. Words of Radiance (The Stormlight Arc -- Brandon Sanderson -- $17.89
6. Goodnight Songs: Illustrated by Twelv -- Margaret Wise Brown -- $11.35
7. Future of the Mind: The Scientifi -- Michio Kaku -- $21.42
8. Dark Souls II Collector’s Edition Str -- Future Press -- $20.99
9. Shadow Spell: Book Two of The Cousins -- Nora Roberts -- $9.98
10. Success Through Stillness: Meditation -- Russell Simmons -- $12.61
11. Jo Frost’s Toddler Rules: Your 5-Step -- Jo Frost -- $11.40
12. Mockingjay (The Final Book of The Hun -- Suzanne Collins -- $8.21
13. Hard Thing About Hard Things: Bui -- Ben Horowitz -- $17.99
14. Minecraft: Redstone Handbook: An Offi -- Scholastic -- $6.07
15. How Can It Be Gluten Free Cookbook -- Editors a. A. T. Kitchen -- $16.81
16. Redeployment -- Phil Klay -- $16.17
17. Americanah -- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie -- $10.09
18. Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural Hi -- Elizabeth Kolbert -- $21.17
19. Showtime: Magic, Kareem, Riley, and t -- Jeff Pearlman -- $18.26
20. Walking Dead Volume 20: All Out W -- Robert Kirkman -- $13.32
You may want a copy of this book in the form of a planar cellulose information
retrieval system, i.e. a printed book. They make good gifts, and are more familiar
to most of us than electronic copies. But finding a printed copy of a book is
sometimes difficult. This section is intended to give you some help by making it
easy to use the more common ways of searching.
1 The first column consists of links to the home pages of the biggest suppliers of books by mail: Amazon and Barnes & Noble. These two suppliers have mostly new books, and their new book inventory probably has an overlap of something like 90%, but this does not mean that they both have exactly the same price. Both of them also list used books from outside suppliers, and the used book inventories are usually quite different. ABE Books is a loose grouping of some 17,000 independent bookstores that list their inventory in a common database - most of these are used books that vary from just issued best sellers to rare and antique books.
From all three home pages you can do searches, look at comments, check prices of both new and used copies, look at various formats such as hardback, paperback, eBook formats and much more.
2 The second column has links to Barnes & Noble and Amazon pages describing their new eBook Readers. These have become very popular lately as they allow the purchase of new books and textbooks at prices lower than the printed copies, and in a format that many people find attractive.
3 Clicking on the links in the third column sends you to the supplier along with the ISBN (International Standard Book Number) of the book described on this page if we have been able to find that number. Note that an ISBN refers to a specific edition of a book. Thus a single book might have many ISBNs: Hardback edition, softback, large print, foreign language and so on. Usually the book listing on B & N or Amazon will have links to the other editions that are available.
4 Is our ISBN wrong, or perhaps missing all together. Help us out. Search on B&N and Amazon. If you find one, please let us know. Enter the thirteen (Barnes & Noble) or ten (Amazon) digit number (no dashes) in the boxes above and click on the Submit ISBN button. The numbers shown in the boxes are the numbers we have on file, or zero if we haven't found one.
© Books-On-Line, January 22, 1997; Last Revised December 17, 2012 – Processing Time: 8 ms